FILE SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
Guidelines for Submitting Files
PDF Workflow is preferred, providing the below prerequisites are met.
- All files must be in a CMYK working space.
- No linked files, Spot Colors or RGB color spaces.
- All Art must contain no less the .5” Bleed outside the live area. Larger projects, i.e. large multi-panel wall murals, vehicle wraps and grand format applications (Billboards etc.) Please include no less than 2” no more than 5” of bleed around live area.
Other Industry Preferred file formats include,
.PDF, .JPG, .PNG, .PSD, .EPS, .AI, .INDD (.IDML files are produced automatically when packaging your InDesign project.).
File Prep points to take into account before submitting.
- Please create a Preview PDF as a guild for the finished graphic.
- Please provide build files whenever possible.
- Extend bleed at least .5” past the trim line. All Art must contain no less the .5” Bleed outside the live area. Larger projects, i.e. large multi-panel wall murals, vehicle wraps and grand format applications (Billboards etc.) , please include no less than 2” no more than 5” of bleed around live area.
- Please include crop marks in your layout.
- All Logos should be Vector based.
- All Gradients should be CMYK. Absolutely no Spot Colors should be used in gradients.
- Gradients should be vector based, if you’re using PS to create your gradient, leave it on its own layer and save the file without any compression.
- Check that process colors are CMYK (not RGB)
- Check that spot colors are converted to CMYK or, if desired, carefully define and apply as a spot color. Please Note; some spot colors will not reproduce to a direct match from RGB to CMYK.
- Trash unused color swatches, layers and transparencies.
- Check and edit fonts, either outline or collect fonts when “Packaging” your job for print. Note, if your Fonts are outlined they will no longer be editable.
- Check that linked graphics are up to date
- Delete unused elements, elements on the pasteboard, and empty boxes
How to “Package” your job
Collecting your job is an automated process for gathering all of the active components of your job — layout, graphics and fonts — into one new, neat job folder.
For some of the file formats we accept, here are the “Package” methods we suggest:
- For an InDesign layout, select “Package” from the InDesign File menu.
- For an Illustrator layout select “Package” from the Illustrator File menu.
- After collecting your job, create a preview PDF and add it to the collected job folder.
- If you designed with fonts that you don’t have commercial permissions to use, please either: buy the font and supply it, or; submit the design without supplying the font files. In this case, the best practice would be to “OutLine” your fonts. Note, if your Fonts are outlined they will no longer be editable.
Before submitting your artwork, please run through this final checklist
- Convert all text to outlines (or send all fonts used in the artwork.)
- Embed all linked files, and send copies of each link.
- Check for bleed.
- Is everything in a CMYK color space?
- Ask for press proof if needed.
Any questions on file prep, please feel free to contact our Layout Specialists at BEST Imaging Solutions.